Saturday, October 25, 2008

Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch...

For the past several months, my mind has been racing. How can I persevere during these tenuous economic times? I truly believe we all need to take a closer look at our situations and hang on only to what is absolutely necessary.

I remember wanting to "live off the land" as early as my teens. To find a remote piece of ground far from the maddening crowd. To build a modest shelter, grow my own food and live a peaceful life. During my college days, I subscribed to Mother Earth News and bought the Firefox collection to prepare myself for a life of self-sufficiency, but those dreams quickly faded as I joined the status quo and began a life of accumulation and bad choices.

I worked, raised my children and then worked for corporate America some more. However, after a merger, or, dare I say, a hostile take over, my company stock was devalued. I watched my retirement vaporize. This was going to make the difference for me in my elder years, the difference between eating real food instead of cat food.

It's been seven years since I walked out on my mortgage banking career. I dabbled in creating art pieces, I looked to friends for odd jobs until I was taken under the wing and mentored by a local tradesman (whom I later married, but that's another story) in the art of construction for five years. Then, lo and behold, the bottom of the housing market began to rear its ugly head. What the fuck? I can frame up a house, put it in the dry, install drywall and do the finish work. My skills are useless in this market.

The past several months have been chaotic. I've been paralyzed by my circumstances. One night, however, I was able to see through the fog enough to develop a plan. To live that simple life I had once dreamed of. I was excited. I placed ads and emailed friends seeking a care taking position and in less than two months I had a solid offer. A long-time friend needed a caretaker for his 93 acre ranch 50 miles north of Phoenix.

This beautiful oasis sits deep in a canyon surrounded by saguaros and wildlife, plus a 40-ft waterfall when, and if, it ever rains. There's a huge rose garden with blossoms as big as my fist. An orchard with every fruit tree imaginable including the largest fig tree I've ever seen. Just next to the large garden spot is the grape arbor. All I have to do is move the water hose around and keep a vigil over the large 2-story adobe house.

The chicken coop needs some repair before I fill it with layers. And, I think I'll get a couple of sheep to help maintain the landscaping. Sounds perfect doesn't it? Well, it is, except for the god damn rattlesnakes. Jeez, I hate a fuckin' snake. I'm just waiting for the cold snap that will send them all deep into their dens until April. This will give me the time I need to walk around, make some improvements and prepare the garden for its bounty without having to worry about something slithering between my feet or rattling from a nearby bush.

Yea, me! My dreams and skills are now in place. I am comfortable and at peace.

3 comments:

  1. I love this story! So glad to hear things worked out for you even when you thought you didn't have any options. Funny how life works, huh?

    I have given you an award that fits the bill perfectly!

    Come to my blog to check it out and take it home for yourself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! What a great life you have lived. We have a lot in common. I was in construction for a while too and have a lot of Makita tools. LOL

    Didn't do the corporate thing but have lived a wild and woolly life like you. I live in New Mexico and love it.

    This is such a robust story of a life well lived. A well lived life does not mean a life without trauma,pain of suffering (they make us stronger, wiser and more compassionate), but for me it a well lived life means one that reflects courage, adaptability, resourcefulness, vitality and more. And you have ALL that in spaaaaades.

    Since I lived in the jungles of Australia I had to face my fear of potentially deadly snakes. I mean, I don't handle rattlesnakes; I am very cautious but I don't fear them like I once would have.

    I just soared reading this post. I felt so much joy and pride for you. What a dynamic woman!!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful, apart from the snakes, really does.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by The Screaming Me-Me!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...