I was talking with a friend over the weekend who kept bringing up weird laws which are still on the books and are enforceable. Huh, do what now? I would laugh and just figured he was pulling my leg, that is, until I started looking them up. So, I spent the better part of Sunday researching and compiling a list just so I could share them with you. You know, just in case you live in or might happen to visit one of these states.
As I confirmed these weird laws, I kept thinking of Barney Fife approaching the offenders as he stuttered, stumbled and fumbled for his one and only bullet, "This calls for action and now, you've got to nip it in the bud."
- Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs. (Seems legit, most alligators wouldn't fit in a bathtub.)
- Dogs can not bark after 6 PM. (Gag order on pooches, ridiculous!)
- The Arkansas River may rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock. (Question is, who do they arrest in the event of a flood?)
- You need a permit to shave while driving. (Bwahahahaha, seriously?)
- It is illegal to provide beer or other intoxicants to elephants. (Sounds as if someone may have seen a few too many pink elephants.)
- It is not illegal to speed. (Not while shaving, I betcha.)
- Hunting camels is prohibited. (I have lived here 20+ years, never seen a camel.)
- Donkeys can not sleep in bathtubs. (What is it with animals in bathtubs?)
- It is illegal to refuse anyone a glass of water. (With the extreme heat we experience, that's actually a good law.)
- It is considered an offense to hunt whales. (Huh, whales in Utah?)
- You can not walk down the street carrying a violin in a paper bag. (Well, fiddle!)
- No sex in the back of an ambulance while it is on an emergency call. (Bright lights and loud sirens --yeah, that's a mood killer. Unless, of course, you're into that kind of thing.)
- Panhandlers must obtain a $10 permit before begging on the streets. (I kid you not!)
- You can not shoot any game from a vehicle window with the exception of whales. (What's the dealio? More laws for whale hunting in landlocked areas? )
- You may not use a lasso to catch a fish. (Well, there goes my vacation plans.)
This is just the short list, I will be back real soon with more weird laws from around the states. And, be sure to come back tomorrow for the special Halloween edition of Caption This!